Register to vote at: https://vote.sos.ri.gov/Home/RegistertoVote?ActiveFlag=1
Find your voter registration or change political party at: https://vote.sos.ri.gov/Home/UpdateVoterRecord?ActiveFlag=0
To register to vote:
- You will need a RI Driver’s License or RI State ID to register to vote online or update your existing record.
- If you do not have a RI Driver’s License of RI State ID, the OVR will generate a form for you to print and mail to your local Board of Canvassers.
- Please read and follow the instructions on the Online Voter Registration portal. If you have any questions refer to Frequently Asked Questions.
- Si tienes algunas preguntas, por favor revisas la seccion de Frequently Asked Questions (ingles).
Party Affiliation: Make your selection on the online voter registration form, or select “Unaffiliated”.
Important: Under the federal Help America Vote Act, if you are a first-time applicant for voter registration in Rhode Island you must provide either your valid driver’s license number or valid RI ID number issued by the RI Division of Motor Vehicles. If you have not been issued a valid RI driver’s license or RI ID number, you must provide the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you have not been issued either, then please indicate that on the form after you have printed it from the OVR..
If you do not provide this information or your driver’s license or social security number cannot be verified, you will be required to present one of the forms of identification listed below at the time of registration, prior to voting or at the time of voting. Non-photo identification must have the voter’s name and address on it. If you indicate on the form that you have not been issued a Social Security number or a RI driver’s license, you will still need to present identification at the polls.
Note: these items differ from acceptable forms of photo identification at the polling place on Election day.
Or, print a paper form and mail it:
Forms of Identification to Register to Vote for First-Time Applicants:
- RI driver’s license or state-issued identification card;
- RI voter identification card;
- U.S. Passport;
- Identification issued by a United States educational institution;;
- U.S. Military identification card;
- Identification issued by the U.S. or State of Rhode Island;
- Government-issued medical card;
- Employee identification card;
- Identification card provided by a commercial establishment;
- Credit or debit card;
- Student identification card issued by a recognized United States educational institution;
- Health club identification card;
- Insurance plan identification card;
- Public housing identification card;
Or a copy of any of the following documents, provided that the document includes the name and current address of the individual presenting it, and is dated since the date of the last general election, unless the document is intended to be of a permanent nature such as a pardon or discharge:
- Utility bill;
- Bank statement;
- Document issued by a government agency;
- Lease or rental statement;
- Student identification card of tuition statement or bill issued by a recognized United States education institution;
- Insurance plan card .
When you sign the voter registration form, you are taking an oath that you meet the qualification requirements listed on the form.
For Registering in a State OTHER than Rhode Island:
- The Election Assistance Commission (EAC) Web site where you may complete a National Voter Registration Form and be provided with the registration requirements and instructions for registering to vote in a state other than Rhode Island.